Retro-commissioning, also referred to as recommissioning, reduces energy use and cost in buildings by identifying opportunities to optimize the HVAC system. When properly executed, retro-commissioning reduces annual energy use by 5–10%, and sometimes up to 20%, with limited expense exposure and negligible disruption. Furthermore, many utilities offer retro-commissioning incentive programs that help underwrite project costs leading to outstanding ROI.
Although not as common as energy audits, retro-commissioning is a well-established and worthwhile service suitable for almost every building. Even buildings where energy audits or assessments have been performed recently may be excellent candidates for retro-commissioning. The energy engineers at Sieben Energy Associates have earned a strong reputation for delivering results. Our portfolio of retro-commissioning projects comprises over 55 million square feet and has generated over 50 million kWh of annual electricity savings and over 1 million therms of annual natural gas savings for our valued clients.
What can you expect from retro-commissioning with Sieben Energy Associates?
- Assessment of baseline energy performance
- Data-driven assessment of energy reduction potential from HVAC system and controls
- Focus on low-cost, rapid-payback energy-saving opportunities
- Collaboration with facility team about which areas to explore in greater depth
- Evidence-based energy-saving recommendations supported by data
- Detailed scopes of work for opportunities selected for implementation
- Client’s choice of vendors/contractors to complete project implementation
- Measurement of post-implementation performance to verify savings
- Comprehensive written reports of project results
Why should you choose Sieben Energy Associates to perform retro-commissioning?
- Deep experience with buildings of all types and sizes
- Authorized service provider for utility programs across the country
- Proprietary tools and methods for accurately projecting energy savings
- Data-driven insight rather than intuitive or rule-of-thumb rationale
- Financial metrics based upon client’s actual unit cost of energy
- Maintaining occupant comfort is a top priority
- History of award-winning projects
Sieben Energy Associates is authorized to provide retro-commissioning services through incentive programs in the following utilities:
- ComEd – Chicago and Northern Illinois
- DTE Energy – Detroit and Southeastern Michigan
- CenterPoint Energy – Houston and Eastern Texas
- Focus on Energy – Milwaukee and throughout Wisconsin
- Xcel Energy – Denver and throughout Colorado
- Xcel Energy – Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Southern Minnesota
- Ameren Missouri – St. Louis and throughout Missouri
How can you get started on retro-commissioning from Sieben Energy Associates?
- Contact us to learn more and discuss your energy goals
- Share with us your building's historical electricity and natural gas usage information
- Schedule a site screening visit so that we can assess project feasibility
- Your facility may qualify for a utility incentive program; we can review with you the program requirements
- If your facility doesn't qualify for a utility incentive program, or your utility does not offer a program, we can talk with you about designing a custom project